Things that I'd like to explore and have better answers on.
Most of these questions probably don't have permanent 'answers' - each generation, each culture, each industry has to define and redefine them for their mix of technology, political structure and workplace organisation I suspect.
- Why do we 'manage'?
- What is 'management'? A definition of the role/tasks. Taxonomy.
- Why is 'management' so hard?
- Exactly in what ways is 'management' hard?
- How is 'management' different from 'project management'?
- What parts of 'management' can be modelled? What cannot be?
- What is a 'good manager', 'poor manager' and 'bad manager'? Can 'management performance' be measured?
- Are all 'manager' behaviours productive or acceptable - bullying, rule-by-fear, ...
- Where do 'Qualtiy', 'Errors', 'Performance' and 'Humanness' fit?
- What is 'Office Politics'? Where does it fit? Can it be modeled (internal. external, ...)? Is it benefical to the Organisation? (Agency theory and personal vs org/other benefit)
I.T. in Context in the Organisation
- Where does I.T. fit? How does it/could it intersect/interface with 'management'? Where does I.T. fit in the Context.
- Is I.T. a Cost Centre or not? How can the Benefits of I.T. be found, accounted for and managed/optimised?
- Balance Sheet accounting/reporting of I.T. outputs and outcomes.
- I.T. Waste, Efficiency and Effectiveness - definitions, impact, economic models.
- "Project Failure = Management Failure" - Why do I.T. Projects still consistently fail after 5 decades of I.T.?
- Are I.T. Projects the only part of I.T. that fail? (Definition of a 'project'. Theory of Project Management.)
- Are I.T. Projects the only projects afflicted within organisations?
The Profession (I.T.)
Repeat for Management, Accounting, ???
- What role does the "I.T. Profession" have in the current 'State of Practice'?
- Can I.T. be run better, produce better results, waste less? or is "this is as good as it gets"?
- Definitions of 'professional', 'professionalism' and 'profession'. Roles & Responsiblities Matrix.
- Taxonomy of I.T. within organisations (Projects, Operations, Service Mgt, ?)
- Taxonomy of I.T. profession.
- What is good, poor and bad I.T. Management?
Individual I.T. practitoners
- What's 'good', 'poor', 'outstanding' and 'bad' performance/practice of individuals per field?
- Can the differences in capability, preference and experience/knowledge of practitioners be known/assessed?